Giovanni Solinas moved to the Wallenberg Laboratory from the
University of Fribourg, Switzerland, in 2014. He is currently professor of molecular medicine in the Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine. His team investigates the molecular mechanisms underlying the metabolic stress associated with obesity and the role of these mechanisms in the pathogenesis of obesity and obesity-induced type 2 diabetes and tumor promotion.
- 2013 European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes (EFSD). Diabetes and Cancer Research Programme Award.
- 2012 Prix de la Fondation Endocrinologie Geneve.
- 2010 European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes (EFSD). Diabetes and Cancer Research Programme Award.
- 2009 European Foundation for the Study of Diabetes, EFSD/Lilly Research Fellowship Award.
- 2008 Novartis Research Foundation Research Grant.
- 2007 Roche Research Foundation Startup Fellowship.
- 2004 American Diabetes Association (ADA) Mentor Based Post-Doctoral Fellowship.
- 2003 Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) Post-Doctoral Fellowship for Prospective Investigators.
- 1996 University of Milan “Summa cum Laude”.
- 1996 MSc University of Milan (Italy).
- 2002 PhD in Biochemistry at the University of Fribourg (Switzerland).
- 2002-2003 Post-doctoral research associate, Division of Physiology, University of Fribourg.
- 2003-2007 Post-doctoral fellow, Department of Pharmacology, University of California, San Diego (USA).
- 2007-2014 Assistant Professor in Molecular Physiology, Department of Medicine, University of Fribourg (Switzerland).
- 2014 Professor of Molecular Medicine, The Wallenberg Laboratory, Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Gothenburg (Sweden).